Soho Lunch Sessions #2 - Foxcroft & Ginger, 3 Berwick Street

Tuesday 10 January 2012


January for many means detox, drizzle and diets (Atkins, Dukan or cabbage soup anyone?). Not for me. Especially because in 2012, according to the Mayans, the world is going to end. It must be true, I read it in the Daily Mail...

Yes, that's right, on 21st December 2012, Earth will be no more. There are conflicting theories as to what will happen - alien invasion, nuclear catastrophe, black hole, asteroid, solar flare or (my personal favourite and the one I'm voting for) the planet Nibiru - a rogue piece of rock, currently hanging out behind the sun - will collide with Earth.... poof, that's it. The End.

So this year there will be no January diet and no detox for me. 2012 will be my year of exploration and discovery of the World's bounty... while I still can.

The first step towards this is reinstatement of the Soho Lunch Sessions. These were supposed to happen every week. But you know what it's like - life gets in the way. Seeing as life will soon be no more, I thought I had better get back on to these straight away (before exploring the rest of the World). It's easier to explore my doorstep in Soho right now, rather than jetting off somewhere, although hopefully that will happen too... before the World comes to an end.

Sitting in Foxcoft and Ginger at lunchtime today, I got to thinking that this is the kind of place I would like to be sat in if (when) that asteroid/ planet finally does strike. This cool, quirky cafe has comfortable cushions, amazing coffee from Climpson and Sons, proper, pretty cappuccinos and ham and cheese french toast sandwiches to die for (pun intended), drizzled with honey and mustard - the only kind of drizzle I appreciate in January. This is not the lunch to order if you are in fact dieting/ detoxing/ respecting your arteries.

There are some seemingly healthier options available though if you are so inclined, including a garden pea humous sandwich with lemon and thyme roasted veg, or an English apsaragus salad with basil and pumpkin seed salad - all served up on rustic wooden boards.

Downstairs there's also (randomly), a couple of old gym horses which are used as tables and the open pipes on the ceiling give this place a bit of an industrial, slightly unfinished look. Try and grab a cosy table upstairs (there are three) at the back by the coffee machine. I could sit there for hours.

Check it out - seriously- it will help you forget the end of the world is nigh.

Oh, and to finish it all off nicely, they do pretty awesome cakes too...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...